Auston Matthews sure knows how to make a first impression. On Wednesday night in Ottawa, the 2016 1st overall pick made history by becoming the first player to record four goals in an NHL debut. As Matthews filled the net, Twitterverse exploded with a flurry of reactions from both fans and players. Meanwhile, out west, there were also a number of firsts as phenom Connor McDavid, the Edmonton Oilers’ newly named captain, lead his team to its first victory at Rogers Place.
Listen as Christopher Doyle, Twitter Canada’s Head of Partnerships, provides insight into how NHL Opening Night unfolded on the platform.
- There were 170,000 mentions of Matthews (@AM34) last night on Twitter.
- Matthews gained 18,000 followers on NHL Opening Night.
- @MapleLeafs has 1.34 million followers, the most of any Canadian NHL team.
- @EdmontonOilers has 592,000 followers. The account gained 53,000 new followers in the offseason, and 167,000 new followers since NHL Opening Night 2015.
- Connor McDavid (@cmcdavid97) currently has 183,000 followers. 66,000 are new followers since NHL Opening Night 2015.